Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lorrie (Korevaar) Whatley

Korevaar Lorrie Seriously—it's been 30 years since our High School graduation?!?!?!  Without having children to gauge the passing years, Stephen & I sometimes forget that we are ageing (until we look into a mirror).  Thankfully, maturity is also part of the package—and I certainly would not exchange any of my wrinkles or gray hairs for a youthful appearance if it should require cashing in the maturity the Lord has granted me along the way.  I am blessed and thankful for what the Lord has unfolded in my life over the years.

Stephen & I will soon celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary.  My, how time flies when spending it with someone you love!  The biggest change that has transpired in our lives in the recent years is that in 2005 we moved back to the USA following nearly 22 years of living overseas.  We had been teaching in Bible Colleges & seminaries in Micronesia & the Philippines (and I in Central America before we married).  The memories remain sweet and our lives continue to be enriched by what the Lord taught us during our years in The Islands.

Currently Stephen & I are both employed at Faith Evangelical Seminary (an evangelical inter‑denominational seminary located near Point Defiance in Tacoma).  While Stephen continues as professor, I am no longer teaching—instead, I work in the Admissions Office.  We live in a small apartment‑home near the seminary so we appreciate being able to walk to work.

Another significant part of my life at this time is that I drive to Lynden weekly to visit/assist my father (he has Alzheimer's and lives at the Care Center).  Although it is a 290 mile trek (round trip) it is a sweet journey because whichever direction I'm headed, I'm driving toward someone I love!

One of my dreams is to write a devotional book for Advent Season.  I imagine it would be a satisfying culmination to my years of teaching Old Testament Survey—spotlighting the familiar OT Bible stories I came to love as a child and showing that when all linked together they are a single story that points to Jesus!

Class of 1979: I am looking forward to reconnecting you!  My prayer for our class is that we continue to grow in God's grace and radiate His love to those around us!