Saturday, July 25, 2009

Leslie (Likkel) Honcoop

Likkel Leslie I must admit that this milestone – 30 years from high school graduation – has fostered bit of contemplation and introspection on my part. Am I where I thought I would be when, at 18, I looked 30 long years into the future? Am I where I want to be as I look 30 short years into the past...

Frankly, I never was one to have a picture of where I wanted to be 5, 10, 30 years hence. I didn’t really have any designs on my life and occupation in those growing up years – with the exception of knowing that I wanted to be a wife, and a mom.

God graciously allowed me both...and I have to say that the best thing I’ve ever done is be a mom...Not that I was the "best" at it as far as how I did it, but that it was the most meaningful, challenging, and rewarding occupation of my life. I confess, now that my kids are grown, I have struggled to find the "what next" – nothing else seems to compare.

As I said, our kids are grown. At 26, Dillon is soon to be married to Tiffany White, a wonderful girl he met while at Trinity Western University. Dillon is a radio announcer, reporter, producer, and talk-show host at KGMI. It’s quite an experience to have your son debate the issues of the day...publicly...with lots of people listening...nerve-wracking at times as you know you might end up being talked about as well! We are very proud of how he’s handling this amazing opportunity.

Caitlin, 25, is living on her own in Lynden, and is employed as a receptionist at Dickson Medical Clinic. Our shy and introverted little girl now deals with people all day – graciously handling their sometimes unreasonable expectations, and sensitively listening to all manner of personal information...We are proud of the capable, independent and determined young woman she has become. She loves running, reading, and watching Top Gear – and wishes she had a horse again...

Jess, 23, is our resident college grad, struggling to find full-time employment. He graduated from TWU last year, and then had the wonderful opportunity to participate in an American Studies Program, interning in Sen. Richard Lugar’s office last fall. Of course, he came away from that wishing to be employed as a legislative aide...something not so easily accomplished! At this point, he finds himself occupied as a campaign manager for County Council candidate, Bill Knutzen. He’s working on the farm, and at whatever he can pick up...and the dream of moving to DC still lives. Time will tell! I’d love to see him have his dream...but we’ll see what God’s idea is. We’re proud of how he’s working through frustrating circumstances.

Enough bragging! Truly, I do struggle with what to do to occupy my time, now that the kids are grown. I have an idea (grandkids!!) but that is far out of my control. I’ll be patient, and I am content to go back to being, mainly, the farmer’s wife. I never had specific plans to be a farmer’s wife, but I am so grateful that God did. I can’t imagine living anywhere else, and though sometimes it is an unrewarding job financially, and unrelenting work for Randy, we and the kids have gained so much from being on the farm.

With a mostly empty nest, Randy and I are enjoying traveling in the Fall when the farm work has slowed. All the time, we enjoy our boxer, Daisie, whom we got for me to mother to relieve the ‘smothering’ pressure I was putting on the grown kids. She is my constant companion, and quite enjoys my mothering, for which I am grateful. Though I don’t have a specific occupation, somehow the days fill up with activities. I enjoy coffee with friends and family, volunteering at LC, scrapbooking family history, blogging, taking care of my home, keeping the farmer fed...It’s really quite a simple life...Am I where I thought I would be as I looked 30 years down the road? I really can’t say...but I like where I am.

I hope you like where you are too, and I’m looking forward to hearing your stories...If you want to keep up with mine, you can check my blog: www.leslieisverbose.blogspot.com100_2085